Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Inaugural post

Wine-colored pasque flower in full regalia.
It's a lovely May morning in southern Denver - what a beautiful day for my first blog post. This is my occasional blog about writing, editing, literature, and the English language, as well as any one of my passing obsessions (lately? erosion control fabric. How much of the ground as we know it is undergirt by this strange rubbery layer?)

The occasion of this occasional post is yesterday's publication of a rant of mine about age, writing, and the pressure faced by writers to produce a book. Coincidentally, the other task of mine this morning (besides registering my daughter for swim team, scheduling a heartworm test for the dog, renewing my subscription to High Country News and creating the final Power Points for my classes this semester) is to work on my novel. You might think that I was done with all that, given the tenor of my complaint. Alas, however, no; I want to publish a book as much as anyone. It's the rabbit we writer greyhounds are condemned to chase.

Today's erosion control fun fact: stabilizing agents aren't just for food products anymore! You can apply petroleum-based or guar gum-based dust control substances using the same equipment you use to spray concrete. Just think about that the next time you pass a grassy, reconstructed slope.

Till next time,
E.






No comments:

Post a Comment